Scales

Discussion in 'DIY Supplies' started by Cmnderb, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Cmnderb

Cmnderb Member

I purchased a small scale and unfortunately it rounds measurements up. Ex. When I want 1.5g it will round up to 2g. Not good for mixing at all. :emoji_astonished: Reason I got this one is it's small and fits well in my mixing area. I am aware of the lb-501 but it's a bit big. Does anyone have a suggestion for a smaller scale that won't round up?

2. fozzy71

fozzy71 Active Member

3. Phil_Lee

Phil_Lee Active Member

There are a selection on FT that allegedly give precision down into the milligram range, although limited maximum.
    But my idea, when I can afford it, is to do the flavouring and nicotine on one like that, then swap over to one with a greater capacity, to add PG/VG. When I have a good range of recipes that I like I can do them in greater quantity, and may not need that level of precision at all, but for 10ml testers and flavourings that have a 2-3% recommended range, an extra drop can make quite a difference.
    As with a lot of vaping related stuff, actual accuracy isn't as important as consistency - you need (say) 30mg to be the same the next time you mix the recipe far more than you need to know that it is a genuine 30mg and not 29 or 31. And of course, it's the proportions that matter.

Cmnderb likes this.
  4. Cmnderb

Cmnderb Member

Thank you very much for the links!!! I had my eye on that one but needed a bit of reassurance! LOL the calibration weight is almost as much as the scale. Gonna check the old finances to see if I can go ahead and get this!

fozzy71 likes this.
  5. Cmnderb

Cmnderb Member

Sounds like you have a plan!!! I tried making a recipe with it yesterday and tried it today juice tastes muddled. Of course probably needs more steep time. With all he recipes that include more han 3 or 4 flavors I can't help but feel weighing needs to be exact.

I don't see myself mixing more than maybe 250mls. I have fickle taste buds and have yet to find an ADV.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated!!!!!

6. Phil_Lee

Phil_Lee Active Member

Oh, I certainly do try to work to a plan, but as has been said, many times in the past, plans can come unstuck!
    In the beginning was the plan, and then came the assumptions, and the plan was without form, and darkness was upon the face of the practitioners!
    I don't use anything I've mixed for at least 2 weeks, and try to remember to shake daily despite storing them in a cool dark place - so out of sight and all too frequently out of mind! The only exception to the 2 week minimum steep time is if I haven't been able to mix any for too long (my health isn't great), so I absolutely need a "shake & vape" to tide me over while the good stuff matures.
    I'm still trying to find a true shake & vape that I like though, so anything like that is compromised from the outset.
    I can only afford to make a flavour purchase about once every 6 weeks, and have a few possibilities in mind for mixing a quicky, but in general, fruits and sweet (confectionery) stuff is fastest (apart from chocolates), bakeries and creams take much longer. So in theory, something like raspberry lemonade should be fast. But then there's the problem of sweet flavours tending to gunk up the coils more, and if I haven't been able to mix, I tend to find it difficult to do equipment maintenance for a while as I recover.
    But the next order will include a couple of flavours aimed at fast steeping (in combination with some I have already), as well as something in the bakery line and an additional fruit or two. There's a deal I use on 6x10ml for getting experimental ones, and then if I like the result enough, an occasional purchase of 50 or even 100ml, and of course, PG and VG as required. I have a litre of 7.2% PG base nicotine that I purchased before TPD hit us with strict limits, so that should last me a good while.
    Building up a stock of ingredients for experiments takes a while but pays off handsomely in the long run. But I guess there are always going to be a few that end up gathering dust in the back of the drawer, because everyone has different taste buds, and you can only go by descriptions given by other people when deciding what to try.
    And with replacing broken or worn out equipment, adding tools for building and mixing, and the very occasional additional atty or mod, it's a very long process, not helped by being housebound so not being able to get out and about to meet other vapers with whom it might be possible to swap sample quantities of ingredients, or trade out ones you've tried but dislike, which they may find lovely.

7. Cmnderb

Cmnderb Member

Well you know the saying the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray! Ain't that the truth!!!

Our situations are similar in that due to adopting my special needs grandchildren I am unable to work, they can't be left alone and are too old for childcare so my income is fixed. Fortunately I am not housebound (my heart goes out to you). As you know a limited income doesn't leave much for the "extras". I have just gotten into making my own liquid like less than a month ago. My budget did not allow me to purchase a large amount of vg/pg, flavors and the nicotine I couldn't afford so a neighbor sold me 10ml of his for $5.00. You've read my scale problem and now I have to wait 3 weeks to replace it. I picked out two well reviewed recipes and just bought flavors for those recipes. I'm blessed to not be out of juice it's just I want to make juice that I really, really like. LOL I read posts where folks see a recipe they like and go right out and order the flavors. I'm envious of that ability. But in the grand scheme of things we have a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs, food to eat and a car to drive. Everything else is an extra besides good things come to those who wait! Could be in 3 weeks when I can order some more flavors there will be a huge sale! :emoji_fingers_crossed:

Since I no longer work I too know no other vapers to talk or trade flavors etc. The neighbor who I bought the nic from has a very jealous girlfriend. Why she has a problem with the old gal is beyond me. :emoji_frowning:

That's why I was so happy to find this forum. I belong to others, including Reddit but they are so big and intimidating. Not to mention over moderated.

Thanks for sharing your story with me.

8. Phil_Lee

Phil_Lee Active Member

I'd love to make local vapers's cooperatives a "thing", where people could swap juices or flavourings that they have been disappointed by on a barter system (which would probably neatly evade most regulation as there isn't any "sale" taking place).
    With the right promotion, it could really take off, but the question is how to promote it.
    I suppose if reviewers pushed the idea it would help - but it would have to be local as mostly it would be quantities which would not be economical to ship even within a country.
    Any attempt by me to promote it on Youtube would not be all that presentable, as I have trouble even keeping myself that way, and have no ability to set up any area from which I could record videos - I believe the joke is that I have a great face for radio :)
    I'm sure most vapers have a juice or two that gathers dust at the back of a drawer or cupboard, just in case they find something it goes well with (or just run out and will vape anything with nicotine in to get the fix), and that would be even more common among DIY mixers - a flavour which I find nauseating may well be a great discovery for someone with different tastes, and vice-versa. In many hobbies the participants have swap-meets, and there's no reason we couldn't do the same, even if I'd have difficulty participating - I might be able to find another local vaper who would assist me in getting to one, but don't hold out any great hopes - I just keep on plugging away at the smokers I know, trying to convert them (2 successes so far, but neither is interested in making it a hobby, just a route off cigarettes (which to avoid misunderstanding, I think is just great, even if it doesn't help me much, it still adds to the number of voices calling on politicians to stop hounding us, and of course is great news for them individually).
    At the same time, I realise that it is the hobbyist vapers that push the vaping community and technology forward, far more than those who just vape for long enough to get free of the tobacco, so it would be nice for me if I had someone local to share my interest with - I have one very good friend who mentored me through my transition from smoking, but he lives over an hours drive away (on fast roads in his vastly over-powered Mercedes sports car) and works crazy hours, so most contact is by telephone/skype, and we only get to see each other face-to-face a couple of times a year on average - he went out of his way to increase the frequency during my initial learning phase but is time poor even if he's financially well set - the opposite of my situation.
    I've heard that the availability of a mentor is the largest factor in determining the success of a transition from smoking to vaping, which was no great surprise to me when I heard it - so I've kept on paying it forward by mentoring the two locals I've managed to convert. But I also acknowledge that I'm time rich even if financially poor, so am in a position to do this - not everyone can dedicate the time to mentor a smoker through their transition, teaching them what type of product will be appropriate to replace their style and habituation to smoking, pointing them to online fora, review channels, tutorials, and even vaping equipment outlets they may find helpful, and giving or loaning devices (like my old pen style MTL ones) that they have moved on from, and in many cases would be wasted if not passed on. I was extremely lucky that my oldest friend was able to do this for me, so any time I now spend in paying it forward is my way of giving back to the vaping community, and I'm something of a knowledge sponge once something grabs my interest.
    Yes, it's an autistic trait, and I have the diagnosis to go with it - High functioning autistic/Asperger syndrome. That may be over-sharing but since my physical difficulties became the dominant problem, I really don't worry about it any more. It's just a part of my psychological make up that makes me, well, me - along with stuff like my IQ, the fact that I have a tendency towards sleep dysphasia and all the life experiences I've had. It's meant that because I spent most of my life undiagnosed, I had to learn different ways of doing things (although I never knew that other people did things differently to me), and could somehow cope with the things that I found very stressful (well, I kind of got that bit right). I was just under the impression that they could cope with the stress, and didn't realise that the things I found stressful (mostly social aspects of dealing with other people) just weren't stressful to them at all, but perfectly natural. I firmly believe that it was a large part of the reason I smoked for so long, as smoking back when I started was a socially acceptable "fidget" mechanism, and I could use it to cover any awkwardness or anxiety. Without it I would have done things like rock in my chair, which for some reason people find stranger than a smoking habit (which still strikes me as strange). But I was that "little professor" as a child, able to learn a lot about "things" but unable to understand what made other people different to me (of course, we are all different - just some are more different than others). Vaping has given me an alternative to smoking, and an interest in learning everything there is to know about it that many would describe as obsessional (and they may well be right). But as it's the subject of much research now, the potential for me to KEEP learning more about it is greater than most fields.
    So that is a lot of my story concerning who I am and what makes me tick.
    It's what drives my compulsion to learn, and to share what I learn.
    I've probably shared way beyond what is normally appropriate, but as I'm currently in a lot of pain and on morphine for it, my ability to care about that is probably impaired. So if a moderator finds it too heavy a subject, feel free to deal with it as necessary.
    Which reminds me, I'm overdue for another dose, so I may be off in la-la land for a while!

9. Cmnderb

Cmnderb Member

I want to reply to several subjects you have brought up but I've got to get to bed. School starts in a couple weeks and I'm trying to get my sleep sked turned back around. My night owl days have come to an end. :emoji_disappointed:

However I want to suggest something. As you probably know Facebook has groups for just about everything. Here in the states we have local yard sale groups. Perhaps you could start a vaping group for your local area.

I'll ponder this a bit more and see what I can come up with by doing some research and get back to you later today.

Phil_Lee likes this.