RBA Section Favorites?

Discussion in 'Sub Ohm Tanks' started by Bob Mars, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Bob Mars

Bob Mars Active Member

Hi,

I was wondering what are your favorite RBA sections?

Mine has been the TF-RCA for the Smok TFV4 Tank. It is great for a single coil build, with a wide range of airflow options..

My favorite setup is a single coil 24ga Kanthal, 6 wrap, 2.5mm ID, using Kendo Gold Edition Cotton. I prefer a restrictive draw.

Thank you :)

OneBadWolf and Whiskey like this.
  2. KingPin!

KingPin! Well-Known Member

Fireluke RBA deck for me, best I've used so far in a sub Ohm (it's a dual coil only deck) comes with the tank so no having to buy it as an extra...might as well be a dedicated RTA in my opinion

IMG_1613.JPG

3. Bob Mars

Bob Mars Active Member

WOW! Gorgeous build! I am hearing a lot of good things about the Fireluke.. :)

4. Phil_Lee

Phil_Lee Active Member

The only sub-ohm tanks I have with RBA bases are the Kangertech toptank (x2) and Protank 4, but they were what first got me building, so will always be a bit special to me. The toptanks have the single coil RBA, the Protank 4 has the velocity style (but very cramped) Pro RBA, which I'm vaping right now, with a pair of 0.3mm 2 strand twisted stainless steel 316L coils, and my variation on Flavour Art's Cornish Cream Tea (I change up the fruit that's with the scones and clotted cream, just to give some variations - there's some blueberry in this version, and I have one with peaches steeping). The original just has strawberry.
    I'm avoiding buying pre-built coils or ready made juices so I can save enough for a new cordless drill (and wire sizes) and start on some more "interesting" builds of my own - using the spool-tamer claptoning method. I think I can just squeeze a 2 core fused clapton into that Pro RBA, if I choose a good day for hand function and use the strongest lenses for my geek-helmet (illuminated magnifying binocular headset).
    Incidentally, following reports of the Pro RBA not fitting into a toptank, I (carefully) checked mine, and it does fit, so I just wish I could get additional ones for the toptanks. I've also had no problems with posts coming loose, so it seems as if Kangertech may have made some slight changes to early models - either that or I've broken the habit of a lifetime, and got lucky! It would be great if I could prepare a few builds when I'm on a a good day, so that I could have them built and ready to just swap them in like pre-built coil heads even on the less good days.
    My UD Sifu B-Tab has been a great help too, as it's stable (the reversed battery door sticks like glue to most working surfaces, as it has an almost sticky rubber pad on the inside for the purpose), and is low enough and small enough for me to rest my hands on the work surface to reduce the tremors (which never seems to work very well at normal mod-top height - I keep knocking the mod over). Then when I put the battery door back the other way and use the 510 on the top, it's a mod with full temperature control (although even I have to admit, it makes a f'ugly mod!).
    All of my other building has been in the relatively wide open spaces of an RDA, but I still need to pick my days and be careful - tremors, numbness and sharp wire and tools are a risky mix with poor eyesight.
    If I ever manage to get my cave organised so that I can reach things like my decent camera (which will manage the macro-focus necessary) I'll try to post some pics, but that could be a long struggle.

Bob Mars likes this.
  5. Bob Mars

Bob Mars Active Member

I really appreciate all the detail you provided. Thank you!!

I have never tried that RBA. I have tried the single coil version. I think it is wonderful. Good flavor, easy build, does everything I need it to!

I've had my eye on the UD Sifu for sometime now. I love UD products in general. I'm glad to hear from someone who has some hands-on with it.

Thank you!!! :)

Phil_Lee likes this.
  6. Phil_Lee

Phil_Lee Active Member

Good to know my ramblings are of some use!
    I'm not sure where in the forum structure it would fit, but I'd be very happy to provide details of the things I've found helpful in doing self building and mixing as a person with physical difficulties. I'm determined not to just sit back and rely on store bought supplies, and I believe that battling on despite difficulties is actually therapeutic, and would like to encourage others to do the same, as long as it doesn't pose any risk to them - or at least, the risks (sharp pointy things, numbness and tremors with poor eyesight for example) are clearly understood. Oh, and add hot things to that - dry burning and quenching needs a little finesse to avoid dropping the whole mod in the water - I use a shallow bowl just big enough for the job, for example. I've had my soldering irons confiscated though, since burning a hole in my thumbnail :(

Bob Mars likes this.
  7. Bob Mars

Bob Mars Active Member

Gotta watch burnin' a hole in the ol' thumbnail for sure! I would love to hear about the challenges you are dealing with and how you are overcoming them. I am sure there are many that would. I have no idea what thread that should be posted in.

Thank you! :)

8. ParaTech

ParaTech What's the DEAL? Moderator

Phil_Lee
    Feel free to use https://www.vapinginsider.com/forum/board/member-introductions.66/
    It'd be a great place to start with something like that.
    Another option is https://www.vapinginsider.com/forum/board/vaping-related-with-no-category.8/
    However if you just want to tie it to building, use
    https://www.vapinginsider.com/forum/board/general-discussion.13/
    or
    https://www.vapinginsider.com/forum/board/builds.14/
    or
    https://www.vapinginsider.com/forum/board/how-to.15/
    Many options available, just depends on the path you want it to take.

Bob Mars likes this.
  9. KingPin!

KingPin! Well-Known Member

Bob Mars likes this.
  10. ParaTech

ParaTech What's the DEAL? Moderator

Phil_Lee
    Do you use anything like this?
    https://www.efun.top/avidartisan-daedalus-coil-diy-tool.html

Bob Mars and Phil_Lee like this.
  11. Phil_Lee

Phil_Lee Active Member

I considered one, but other things have been a greater priority. I'm reckoning on going the spool-tamer method route, as I need a new cordless drill anyway, and can probably swing that out of "general household" instead of "vaping kit" budget ;)
    Spool-tamers I have already (I hate untangling slinky-springs), along with an adequate bench edge clamp-on vice (or vise, in American), so a few fishing swivels and I'm good to go, as soon as I have enough for a shipping-free order of wire of suitable size and reputable source. That's been vying for next purchase with some more flavour concentrate (I daren't risk running out of e-juice), then after those it'll be a decent RDA to replace the dead velocity, unless I can find a suitably strong replacement squonk pin, or solid if forced that way - but that may be difficult as it mashed the PEEK insulator at the bottom end when it all went sideways, and goodness knows what I'll need to replace that with (none of the similar ones I've seen have dimensions, just the model of atty they are for). I couldn't even find enough bits to measure properly once I figured what had happened, as I'd taken the atty off the mod and they'd fallen all over the place. The top insulator looks fine, so a (tight) o-ring and fibre insulating washer may do it, but venting a cell would be an expensive (not to mention risky) way to find out it isn't up to the job, and the original was rather stronger, even on my cheap clone. it only had a hollow pin, with a grub-screw plug for non-squonking action, so I don't have a solid replacement - so possible repair is on the back-burner while I try to find out exactly what bits I'd need to do it safely. I fear the cost may be greater than simply replacing it though. The most infuriating thing is knowing that there must be a dozen decent engineering shops within 10 miles of me who could probably measure it accurately and knock one up from bits out of the scrap bin, if only I could get to them - they don't save 1" offcuts of brass rod or 5mm diameter 2mm thick slices of insulating material for re-use anywhere I've seen, and they rebuild jet turbines a few miles away from here - in which industry such re-use wouldn't be even legal - so I KNOW that the bits I need are being thrown away just a few miles away. bigger chunks are probably being binned in the university engineering department every day. Heck, I could probably have a titanium one for the asking, made to measure in somebody's lunch break for the price of a pint! :( But it's way too long since I've been able to be out and about, meeting and networking with people locally who would be able to sort that.
    So getting back to the point, claptons are at least a week or two away, a build deck I can show them off on a month or so after that.

12. Bob Mars

Bob Mars Active Member

Smok Spirals/Spirals Plus RBA section looks really nice. It looks like the Merlin RTA deck to me.

Smok Spirals with RBA build by Zophie Vapes

Smok Spirals with RBA build by DJLsb Vapes

:)

13. OneBadWolf

OneBadWolf Well-Known Member

I have one. I think its great. I made a similar machine myself, The Claptonator, but the Daedalus is better. I use it fr everything from simple Claptons to exotic alien wire variants.

I've modified mine a little, extra springs to tension the spool of wire on the bobbin, and where the wire anchors, I use a key chain swivel, and a fishing line leader for redundancy. I also used a white industrial marker to put markings on the speed adjustment wheel. The only disaster I've had occurred when the swivel it came with seized due to wear, and resulted in a ugly mess of knotted wire.

The nice thing about the Daedalus, is that once you set it up and get it started, it will run without error until your wire runs out. You just need a long enough flat surface to run it on.

14. OneBadWolf

OneBadWolf Well-Known Member

That was the best RBA for the 4.

I'm split between 2 RBAs, both Smok,

One of the most underrated RTAs out there IMO isthe TF-RTA. As most people know, it came in 2 versions, the G2 RBA, and the G4.

The G2 is fantastic. The four, was very disappointing. I never succeeded in finding a build that I liked for it, so I passed it to someone who loves it.

What many people don't know, is that Smok also made a single coil RBA for the TF. The G1.

Production was very limited. I managed to get one on clearance at GearWorst. I have a theory about the reason for the limited production.

The upper half of the G1 appears to be identical to the TF-RCA, with a bottom half designed to screw into the much larger TF-RTA base.

I think some clever clock at Smok, (nice alliteration there) found a use for the surplus TF-RCAs. When they ran out, no more G1.

Build for that is 4mm ID 36 over 26 GA Clapton.

My other fave is the tricoil RBA for the TFV12. Not for the faint of heart, and fiendishly unforgiving of anything less than perfect wicking, but if, or when you get it right, pure bliss!

3 4MM ID Claptons, 140 watts, and almost closed airflow results in a vape that is visible on weather satellite images, and feels like you are chugging your juice from a beer mug. Goes through more juice than any other 2 attys combined.

Too much is too much. However, sometimes way way too much is just right.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  15. Shaulisbvape

Shaulisbvape Well-Known Member

Only one I own the kangertech toptank mini.. But I think the subtank rba has bigger wicking holes then the toptank.