Potential of Flavor vs Ease of Flavor - RTAs and "muted" flavor discussion

Discussion in 'RTA' started by Anthony_Vapes, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Ravuno

Ravuno Member

I got the Geekvape Framed Staple Claptons earlier, put them in and damn - it's amazing.

My own Kanthal idiocy won't do for that tank, that's for sure.

2. Anthony_Vapes

Anthony_Vapes Staff Member Moderator 2 year member reviewer Weekly Referral Winner

Next time i'd suggest checking out advancedvapesupply.com the geekvape wire is ok, but the AVS stuff is better IMO

3. Ravuno

Ravuno Member

Problem is that it's US based, being from Europe I just order stuff from China, anything good from say fasttech that you could recommend other than the Geekvape ones?

4. Anthony_Vapes

Anthony_Vapes Staff Member Moderator 2 year member reviewer Weekly Referral Winner

in that case just stick to the geekvape. it's not bad at all ;) i just think AVS is better but based on your location the geekvape should be good

5. Letitia

Letitia Well-Known Member

I love My Engine Nanos, only other rta I use is Serpent SMM. Various fused clapton coils from AVS is in all of them. I still marvel at the flavor the Nanos deliver with top air flow. I have nip tips on all of them & can't see myself going back to bottom af & leaks. I'm rather impatient with wick learning curve for bottom af.

6. Anthony_Vapes

Welcome aboard :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

7. synphul

synphul Member

I've been looking for something with good flavor, preferably that doesn't guzzle juice or leak or have other quirks like all in one fill cap/drip tip or proprietary drip tips. Part of my issue I think is airflow. I'd be happy with something in between an 810 and 510.

For example the ammit (original 22mm), it works ok for me. It has good flavor but it's somewhat restrictive on the airflow. It reaches a point where sucking harder only makes the cheeks collapse. Not sure if it's the outer airflow openings, the diameter of the chimney or if it's the machined holes under the coil.

I picked up a couple rda's, clones of the mad dog and csmnt. Maybe it just takes getting used to but the 810 widebore tips are pretty big in terms of feel in the mouth for one. For another, airflow, holy hell there's no restriction at all. I can inhale just as fast through them as I can taking a deep breath to dive under water. Even with the airflow closed down halfway on the csmnt, the hole into the chamber is a friggin wishing well.

The id of the ammit chimney is like 3/16" and the id of the 810 on the csmnt is 7/16", so basically I have my choice of size between a geo metro and lincoln navigator. Anything in between, like maybe a 1/4" or so id chimney on an rta? Are all 510 rta's stuck with a 3/16" chimney? And is the chimney even the problem on the ammit or is the actual airflow restriction somewhere else like the holes in the deck under the coil?

Are there any 810 drip tips grenedy style that are built with a narrower inner bore than the standard ones? I see lots of 510/810 tips but not sure if any of the 810's are narrower internally or if there's a measurement to look for on product listings that would indicate id differences.

8. Letitia

FT has some smaller bore 810 dts. Adapters are fairly easy to get as well.

9. Deucesjack

Deucesjack 2 year member reviewer

That's true, FT has a few 810's that taper up. Love their selection of drip tips but the wait is so long. Funny thing though, every once in a while I'll get something from them in less than a week. Once I actually got something in 5 days from them. Meh, can't complain because I know that going into the transaction. Case in point, two of my favorite DT's are the OG Merlin DT and the Captain DT. They are both wide but with a 510 opening.

10. Letitia

If you don't mind the wait and paying for shipping Signature has any dt you could want. Vince's tips on FB are beautiful and not unreasonably priced for what you get. If you like acrylic Chuffed Art has a good selections. He ships pretty quick.

11. synphul

synphul Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Took a look at some on FT, I don't mind a slower wait. Found a few that may work. I don't really need the rda's choked down to 510, that's what my rta's are at. Just seems like a huge difference between the two common options. Maybe I just have bitch lungs lol, the standard 810's are a lot though for airflow.

Any confirmation one way or the other on tfv8/12 tips? I see sites selling them as 810 but I thought they were slightly different in size. Not a big deal, just happened to spot a couple that looked a little more restricted.

12. Letitia

With 810 whether it has orings or not determine if they will work. I'd tank dt has oring then that's what you need to order and vice versa. Otherwise dt will be too loose ot too tight. Kinda sucks.

13. synphul

synphul Member

Yea unfortunately most of the 810's I found with reduced bore widths have the oring on the dt itself, the ones I need are the goon style with smooth 810 ends since the orings are in the top cap of the rda's.

On the smok tfv8/tfv12, I wasn't sure since I've seen them listed as 810's on sites saying they'll fit 810 but I thought I read elsewhere that the actual dt sizing for the beast or baby beast (can't keep up with smok tanks) are an odd size unto themselves. Not a 510 but not really an 810 either. Maybe I'm the one who's confused, maybe it was another subohm tank dt folks were talking about. Could've sworn it was the smok ones though that are a proprietary size.

Letitia likes this.
  14. Alaskavaper

Alaskavaper Well-Known Member

I completely agree with Anthony that Advanced Vape Supply has an amazing array of wire, spooled claptons, custom coils and etc. They are especially good in their selection of SS materials and coils which is my personal preference. They also have some very good sales from time to time so watch for those.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Letitia likes this.
  15. Letitia

BBB is proprietary. Tfv8 & 12 are 810 with orings.

synphul likes this.
  16. synphul

synphul Member

Thanks Letitia, wasn't sure. I knew it was one of them that was an oddball. Well crap. Seems like the only tapered or slightly narrower bore tips I can find in 810 that aren't custom and require a new line of credit to purchase have orings on the tip rather than the smooth solid end like the csmnt/mad dog tips. All the smooth pegs on the tips are standard wide bore.

Maybe it's just me but damn, I'd be thrilled with a happy medium. The volume of the wide bore tips is nearly 3.5 times the 510 bore.
    [​IMG]
    Any chance that the tips with the orings on the base will fit the mad dog/csmnt? Either by removing the oring in the top cap of the rda or removing the orings from the base of the drip tip? Or by leaving both in place on the tip and top cap one oring will shove past the other well enough to hold? Hate to order a bunch of different ones then find out none of them fit or work and be stuck throwing them away because it won't be worth shipping back to china for a refund.

17. Letitia

I have no idea. Don't have those atties. I like 510 nip tips. Zeus is the only rta I use a little wider bore on. Gen2 is the only 810 I use. Put a 510 adapter on Gorge as well.