Potential of Flavor vs Ease of Flavor - RTAs and "muted" flavor discussion

Discussion in 'RTA' started by Anthony_Vapes, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Anthony_Vapes

Anthony_Vapes Staff Member Moderator 2 year member reviewer Weekly Referral Winner

First lets start with the title. what do i mean my potential of flavor vs ease of flavor. Well potential of flavor is basically what the RTA is capable of when everything is perfect. ease of flavor is how easy it is to reach that potential.

Now this brings me to the ammit 25 RTA. some reviewers claimed muted flavor on it. some haven't. at the risk of spoiling stuff, I think the flavor is above average, and the ease to reach it is pretty low. Lets compare it to the pharaoh RTA. at first glance many would think it's pretty much the same tank, that would be incorrect. the pharaoh has a much higher potential for flavor but also harder to reach it. If you put the same build in both and the build is massive the pharaoh will blow it away. if the build is small the ammit will actually win. The pharaoh has a bugger chamber and a lot more air. you also need to close the top air on it so you don't lose flavor. I had a comment on my channel from a dude who brought one. he tried asking rip who didn't reply (duh dude gets a million comments impossible to reply to them all) so i guess he searched and found my channel. I gave him 2 tips. Build bigger and close the top air. it completely changed his experience. had he had that build in the ammit 25 he would have preferred it

Often i see in reviews "i used the same build in X as i did Y and Y was better" this is fundamentally the wrong way to go about comparing things. to give an extreme example putting the same build in a kayfun as an aromamzier plus would yield complety different results. The goal is to build to the potential of the RTA itself. which is based on the chamber size and the airflow. large chamber, large air = big builds. small chamber restricted air = smaller builds.

So it really comes down to the type of builds people like. If someone uses lets say regular 26 guage 3mm I 5 wrap coils the ammit 25 will outperform the pharaoh. If i'm going to throw a 10 wrap 4mm ID staggered fused clapton in, the pharaoh will blow it away. the ammit 25 doesn't have the chamber size or air to give good flavor with such a large coil. That's why using the same build to compare 2 RTAs is a disservice to each one. Each one should be built to it's potential not with a standard build.

So in general fan favorites with smaller chambers and less air while having a lower potential for flavor, doesn't take as many watts or huge builds to reach that point. meanwhile ones with higher potential take much more to reach it and smaller builds will taste muted. Much like engines (yeah i love comparing cars) V6 engines have less HP potential then V8 engines, but it takes a lot less gas to reach it's potential. Same way smaller chamber RTAs take a lot less metal (smaller coils) and watts to reach their potential

2. ParaTech

ParaTech What's the DEAL? Moderator

This is VERY comparable to how each person has different tastes.
    Lick everyone you know and you'll understand.
    Absolutely joking.
    Be careful whom you lick, not everyone appreciates it.
    But seriously, since each tank/RDTA/RDA/RTA/RBA.... is built differently, the outcome will be different expectantly.
    This all makes perfect sense.
    Good topic, I likey.

3. Anthony_Vapes

Anthony_Vapes Staff Member Moderator 2 year member reviewer Weekly Referral Winner

Thanks! and I'll lick who i want. don't tell me how to live my life LMAO

and yeah each atomizer has it's own "optimal" build. the trick is finding it to get the max potential out of it

Raymcconn, jimi, Letitia and 6 others like this.
  4. ParaTech

ParaTech What's the DEAL? Moderator

I would have clicked "like" a few more times but it doesn't work as desired.

5. voicenyerhed

voicenyerhed New Member

This makes me think I should give my Limitless XL another shot with a smaller build maybe. I really want that thing to work well, but so far there is zero flavor on the large builds.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

jimi, Letitia and TheGreenMachine like this.
  6. Anthony_Vapes

Possibly I'd need to see pics to see if u should go bigger or smaller

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jimi, Letitia and TheGreenMachine like this.
  7. Mjag

Mjag 2 year member reviewer

Great topic and I agree wholeheartedly, not about the licking part though!

Some people want to throw huge aliens into a small chamber then complain about restricted airflow and no flavor....well duh. You have to find that balance and some tanks just work better with a simple build than a fancy large clapton.

8. Deucesjack

Deucesjack 2 year member reviewer

Excellent write up.

Letitia, jimi, Coval51 and 3 others like this.
  9. voicenyerhed

voicenyerhed New Member

I will post pics when I get a chance.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

jimi, Letitia, gakudzu and 1 other person like this.
  10. thelistofjustin

thelistofjustin New Member

I'm gonna report all your comments

11. Anthony_Vapes

Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. thelistofjustin

thelistofjustin New Member

I'm looking for a good single coil mtl rta that won't break the bank. Any suggestions?

jimi, gakudzu and Anthony_Vapes like this.
  13. Anthony_Vapes

Your asking the wrong dude for mtl advice lol anything but mtl I can answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaskavaper, jimi and gakudzu like this.
  14. pizzadave80

pizzadave80 reviewer

I totally get this topic. Seems like alot of tanks can have amazing flavor, but suffer from the type of build. I found that my govad is very sensitive to too much cotton. All I taste is coil if too much cotton, I have a 3mm build in it...going to put a 4mm in it though as I forsee that being excellent.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

15. Anthony_Vapes

Welcome aboard :)

16. Coval51

Coval51 New Member

A good single coil RTA that won't break the bank...I would have to recommend the Augvape Merlin Mini. It's the best $40 RTA I've had for MTL.

17. Ravuno

Ravuno Member

Got an Ammit 25 and an Ammit Dual, any idea what could be an 'ideal' build for them?

jimi, Daybed and TheGreenMachine like this.
  18. Coval51

Coval51 New Member

That's what I love about vaping as a hobby/necessity. Buying a new atty, inspecting airflow, chamber size, and juice flow capability and trying to figure out what will make it vape at it's maximum potential is loads of fun to me. I have gotten stumped on more than one RTA but just stay at it and do something different each build and you will find that sweet spot. Anthony Vapes, great write up. Thank you so much for this one.

19. Ravuno

Ravuno Member

Yeah so far that most success I've had with the Ammit Dual is simply straight kanthal, 24G @ 5-6 wraps, tons of flavour.

The Ammit 25, so far I've had more success with a pretty decently sized build (premade Geekvape fancy claptons coming in around .2 - .3 ohms).

TheGreenMachine likes this.
  20. Anthony_Vapes

Ammit 25 is good with like a 5-6 wrap of a fancy big coil like a fused clapton or alien.

can't speak on the ammit dual