Mjag review: Hohm Tech HOHM BASE the world's first oscillating charger

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mjag, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Mjag

Mjag 2 year member reviewer

Just to be clear the Hohm Base I am reviewing was purchased, it was not given to me or was I compensated in any way for this review. It is just a phenomenal charger and now that it is back in stock at vaporcube.com I thought I would share my experience.

I was actually talked into this charger by a good friend of mine. I had actually walked away from buying one at the ECC vape convention until he told me more about it and especially the Battery Doctor feature which got me to turn around and purchase one for myself. Wow am I glad I did, my Efest Blu6 and Xtar VC4 collect dust now unless I need to charge more than 4 batteries.

I am mainly going to talk about the Battery Doctor mode as this is what sets it apart. I am going to first going to post the specs and features directly from Hohm Tech:

SPECIFICATIONS
    Input: AC 100-240V, 50-60Hz, DC 12V 2.5A
    Output (± 0.01V): Li-ion 4.20V (4 x 0.5A, 4 x 1.0A, 2 x 2.0A)
    LiFePO4 3.60V (4 x 0.5A, 4 x 1.0A, 2 x 2.0A)
    Ni-MH 1.43V (4 x 0.5A, 4 x 1.0A)
    Ni-Cd 1.43V (4 x 0.5A, 4 x 1.0A)
    Li-ion / LiFePO4: 26650, 22650, 18650, 18490, 18350, 17670, 17500, 16430 (RCR123), 14500, 10440
    Ni-MH / Ni-Cd: AAA, AA, C, D
    Operating Temp: 0oC – 40oC / 32o – 140oF
    Size (L x W x H): 160 x 116 x 52mm / 6.3 x 4.5 x 2.1in

FEATURES

• Compatible with Li-ion / LiFePO4 / Ni-MH / Ni-Cd Batteries
    • Each slot/channel is individually controlled by independent Intellichips
    • Four-stage charge/discharge algorithm (CC, CV, oscillation, micro-pulse)
    • Binomial DV algorithmic technology (pinpoint precision charging)
    • Tri-charge allows multiple charge/discharge rates: (0.5A, 1A, and 2A)
    • Up to any 2 slots can utilize maximum AMP RATE. Using all 4 slots triggers 4A distribution for efficient input-power distribution
    • BCM (Battery Chemistry Multiplier) is preset for simple & safe operation. Charge at 0.5A, discharge at 0.5A. Charge at 1A, discharge at 0.5A. Charge at 2A, discharge at 0.5A. BCSM (Batt Chem. Stress Match) is also 100% automated. It measures, monitors, and elevates any excess stress during oscillation and micro-pulse intervals to retain optimal +/- cycle.
    • LCD displays real-time status (charge %, volts, mAh, and cycle time)
    • mAh Detector: achieves current-state mAh capacity by using proprietary features of oscillation and micro-pulsing (charge/ discharge). Using this operation achieves real mAh at safe cut-off levels for battery cells
    • Battery Doctor: uses amplified oscillation and micro-pulsing current to bring batteries to their utmost AMP & capacity potential
    • Two-Tier Battery Bridge System. *Smaller batteries have dedicated groove inside each slot for secure placement
    • 0V Auto-Activation feature automatically handles any 0V situation. Put battery in, Hohm BASE will handle the rest
    • Overcharge & Overtime Prevention: Automatic safety feature cuts power to battery if the cell were to reach any of the preset volt values, binomial DV algorithm values, or time limitation values
    • Buzzer alarm to alert of any irregularity or battery error occurrence
    • AUTO maintenance charge if battery voltage drops .02V. *Leave battery in charger for a day or a decade...they will be ready when you are
    • 166o STN screen displays each batteries’ real-time status, properties, and condition from nearly any angle. *STN enhanced LCD display
    Here is page 7 from the owners manual that explains the Battery Doctor mode:

[​IMG]

Basically what you will get in the box is the charger, big wall wart to power it, warranty card and owners manual.

[​IMG]

Now onto the Battery Doctor mode and how it has refreshed my batteries
    I like all most of us have older 18650 and in my case 26650 batteries as well, the older they get the less run time they seem to give. The first battery I put into my Hohm Base and applies the Battery Doctor settings was an older Brillpower that I had just taken out of my Vapor Flask Stout which was my out and about mod. I was generally getting about a day's use out it, most days I would charge in the car as well since it just wasn't holding a charge like it use to.

This is the result after 11 hours on the Hohm base using the Battery Doctor setting:

[​IMG]

As you can see the Battery Doctor was able to get 4533 Mah into a battery labeled 4500. I thought that was odd but on consecutive 26650 batteries they were either close to the printed specs or slightly over. 18650's were generally a little under there specs, I will show more on that in a little bit.

The next day I took that same Brillpower with me back in my Stout with the same tank and battery life was noticeably better, I actually went 2 days with that same battery. That is when I knew I had something special and proceeded to use the Battery Doctor on all my batteries.

Here are the results from different batteries, all purchased from either Liion, Illumn or IMR which are the vendors known for selling legit batteries:

LG HG2 married pair:

Battery 1

[​IMG]

Battery 2

[​IMG]

Sony VTC5 married for triple battery mods:

Battery 1

[​IMG]

Battery 2

[​IMG]

Battery 3

[​IMG]

Samsung 30Q married triplets:

Only one pic as they were all so close and I was in a hurry...haha

[​IMG]

Ijoy married pair that came with my iJoy LUX mod:

Battery 1

[​IMG]

Battery 2

[​IMG]

Now this one was a little odd considering there labeled 4200 mah but clocked in at over 4500 and the other 4700 mah, one battery got 178 more mah. The only thing I can assume is the LUX is not draining them evenly but in the scheme of things is doesn't worry me too much. You can also see that the one with 4701 mah also charged for an additional 15 minutes over the other. I can say without a doubt that I hardly ever have to recharge the batteries on my LUX so 4500mah definitely seems more appropriate. I have since puchased another iJoy 26650 from Liion Wholesale and it lasts longer than my other 4500 mah 26650 batteries.

Single Basen 26650:

[​IMG]

Inspects, Whiskey, gakudzu and 2 others like this.
  2. Mjag

What are the stickers for on the batteries in some of the pics?
    I was told when I first started vaping to put a date on your batteries so you know which are fresh and holding a better charge. This was in my mech days and as you know batteries as they age tend to get a little weaker over time. The stickers you see on some of the batteries in my pics are actually new that I just put on when I ran the Battery Doctor on them, that is why they say BD followed by the date. Hohm tech recommends running the Battery Doctor mode at least once a year to keep your batteries in peak condition. I tend to do that or at least when I feel the batteries are not performing up to par.

Will the batteries be like new after Battery Doctor is run?
    Of course the newer the battery, the better the results. I had a pair of new Samsung 30Q that I ran the Battery Doctor mode fresh out of the box on and they were the only 3000mah 18650 batteries that reached 3000mah. You can see from my pics of my older 3000mah 18650's that some reached 2849 and 2900mah, still not bad at all and I am confident with there age that they were not retaining that mah prior to running the Battery Doctor.

How about the Mah Detector Mode?

In the manual it states it can take 1 to 24 hours to run the Mah Detector, I tried it once and damn, it took 16 hours...screw that. I discharges then recharges and then does it again, the Battery Doctor only does that once, not twice. I guess it is more accurate to detect the true mah but Battery Doctor is close enough for me and less time.

Tips I have learned along the way
    I got so excited with the results I got with the first 26650 that I got a pair of charged 18650's that were one of my older pair and put them on to run the Battery Doctor mode. Big mistake because it had to discharge from 4.2 volts down to 2.78 then back up to 4.2. The next time I did it I just used the batteries like I normally do and when they were depleted on my regulated mod to about 3.4 volts I then put them on for a Battery Doctor's visit and as you can imagine it took a lot less time.

Don't get me wrong, it still takes awhile to run the Battery Doctor mode depending on the mah of your battery. If run down to a safe level prior to using the Battery Doctor mode it is probably about 12 hours for a 26650 and 6 to 8 hours for a 18650. But you only do it once or twice a year, the rest of the time just charge it normally like every other charger.

Cons
    Compared to my Xtar VC4 and Efest Blu6 18650's can be a little bit of a pain to remove. If you look at the pics the positive side doesn't have a bevel so you can reach your finger in to push it back to remove. You have to grab the battery by the side and push back, good luck if you have any juice on your fingers. Don't have that problem with 26650's as they are taller so you can grab the top and push back.
    The new iJoy 20700 batteries fit but you have to position the positive side up to reaches that top nub, it is a pain in the ass to get it right, I just charge those now on my Efest Blu6, much easier. I did run the Battery Doctor on my new iJoy 20700 batteries and yep, the 3000 mah batteries.

Just get one, you want one and you need one!
    There in stock again here for $60, none of these are affiliate links for me: http://www.vaporcube.com/h-base-hohm-base-4-slot-digital-battery-charger-w-lcd-display-screen.html

IMR had them for $45 but they have been sold out for awhile: https://www.imrbatteries.com/hohm-base-4-channel-digital-battery-charger/

VaporDNA is sold out too: http://www.vapordna.com/Hohm-Tech-Hohm-Base-Smart-Charger-p/hohmbs.htm

Keep checking those links though, once they get back into stock they sell out pretty quick.

All in all I am so glad my friend kept talking about it as we were leaving the ECC Convention, it really is the best thing I have done for my investment of batteries.

Update: I contacted Hohmtech to ask if they were going to be restocking the other retailers and they said they should all be restocked in the next 4 to 5 days so basically the end of June. The biggest retailers being VaporDNA and IMRbatteries I linked to above. I was told there is going to be about 100 retailers carrying the Hohm Base, wow, I guess it really has become super popular.

There is also a update they did to the new version, once I get details I will post them here.

Update #2: Here is what Hohmtech had to say about the updated version now shipping:

Update opens the oscillation pattern to a wider bandwidth and has a bit more monitoring on the micro-pulse speed/frequency/ and amount of amperage of those micro-pulse sessions.

Retail is a bit more now ($69.99 Vs $59.99). Old vs new, very close in results, but the further push of this tech does have a slight advantage of reaching the goal of restoring cells to their younger days so to speak.

3. tekaluku

tekaluku New Member

Hello everyone....have a few quick questions

1.where do I get this charger to buy
    2. How much is it, will need intl shipping cost
    3. I have a nitecore d2 charger. I see this and it have some similarities is the compatible batteries segment. Now my question is will the nitecore d2 and will this new charger be compatible with the new 20700 batteries by Ijoy???????

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. Whiskey

Whiskey The TCIC Staff Member Moderator 2 year member Head of Giveaways

Question 2 answer is at the end of post #2

Mjag likes this.
  5. tekaluku

tekaluku New Member

Yeah...saw that late....had already sent the questions....thanx man

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mjag and Whiskey like this.
  6. Whiskey

Whiskey The TCIC Staff Member Moderator 2 year member Head of Giveaways

Welcome to VI :emoji_hand_splayed:

Mjag and tekaluku like this.
  7. Mjag

Sorry I missed this question earlier.

20700's will fit but you have to lift the positive end to make contact, it is a bit tricky. I only use this charger to run the battery doctor on my hohmbase for 20700, for regular charging I just use my efest or Xtar chargers if I need to charge a 20700.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  8. Inspects

Inspects Well-Known Member

Great review, MJ....I need to pick one of these up...:emoji_thumbsup:

Mjag likes this.
  9. Mjag

If you got an investment in batteries it is totally worth it.

Thanks inspects, much appreciated

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Inspects likes this.
  10. ParaTech

ParaTech What's the DEAL? Moderator

Great review Mjag
    I've been intending on writing a review on this but it looks like you have absolutely everything covered.
    Awesome job.
    Glad I got one but sure wish I would have ordered it earlier, it would probably stopped me from buying half the chargers I have.
    This one works flawlessly.

Mjag likes this.
  11. Mjag

Thanks @ParaTech

Would be great to see a review from you on it, you do a great job and I know I would learn something from it.

Steampugs, Deucesjack and ParaTech like this.
  12. Deucesjack

Deucesjack 2 year member reviewer

Awesome review! I gotta pick one of these bad boys up.

Steampugs, Moderator and Mjag like this.
  13. Mjag

Thanks bro

Steampugs likes this.