Initial Full Tank Inspection... Necessary??

Discussion in 'RTA' started by LDuBC, Oct 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LDuBC

LDuBC Well-Known Member

In my opinion, absolutely.
    Case in point:
    The Alpha One by Ohmega Mods
    Good quality
    9D181CF2-BEC5-49C7-A48F-6F92CD3E9300.jpeg 2187AEE4-5F0D-4BCF-919D-1472F04A0628.jpeg
    but I noticed this
    A79D2D5A-A56D-43D0-9EBF-2EA50D7300E5.jpeg
    Inside the air intake, there are some metal tabs that were not shaved off/cleaned out. They were fell right off when I touched them with a small screwdriver
    96779E2A-B0E1-4EA7-AAA4-1AFE277FA380.jpeg
    but what if I decided to just fill and vape (I’m sure many people do not think twice before popping in a coil, wick and juice and going to town). I could have inhaled those little metal tabs! I have filled and vaped a new tank before without inspecting it but never again. I commented elsewhere about a similar issue in a different tank. While I look for that, anyone have any scary QC issues after inspecting RTAs or other gear?

Attached Files:

jimi, Letitia, CaFF and 2 others like this.
  2. Whiskey

Whiskey The TCIC Staff Member Moderator 2 year member Head of Giveaways

I agree all new gear should be inspected and thoroughly washed before using, you hit on a perfect example, thanks for sharing this!!

jimi, LDuBC, Letitia and 2 others like this.
  3. Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja Well-Known Member

I always rip them apart, inspect, and scrub all attys before using them.

Experience and machine oil will do that to a vaper.

I actually rip all my mods apart before using them as well.
    Lol

jimi, LDuBC, Letitia and 3 others like this.
  4. CaFF

CaFF Well-Known Member

Yeah, I fully disassemble, inspect and clean all atomisers before first use. Especially the airflows, positive pin area, juice channels and posts..can't tell ya how many time I'd have a wonky resistance or slow seep only to find it was metal bits in there. Not to mention machine oil. All anyone needs to do is watch a CNC machine video to understand why... ;-)

I have two of those Alpha One tanks and yours is pretty spot-on. Excellent machining overall, but they missed a few spots in final QC.

jimi, LDuBC, Letitia and 1 other person like this.
  5. ParaTech

ParaTech What's the DEAL? Moderator

Since I take detailed pics and measurements of everything before I use it, I usually have that covered pretty well.
    I have found broken glass, sometimes belonging to the tank, sometimes it seems to have come from something else and I was just lucky enough to get free broken glass with my purchase.
    I've found plenty of oil.
    I've found broken O-rings.
    I've found used coils.
    I found an ant in one tank.
    How on earth did an ant get into it? No clue.
    He said he wasn't a vaper though so I sent him on his way.

jimi, LDuBC, Letitia and 2 others like this.
  6. CaFF

CaFF Well-Known Member

FWIW, I swapped out the o-rings on mine for the ones that come in the baggy, the ones that come fitted were waaay too tight, even lubed up, and I busted a tank trying to get it apart. The bagged ones are a slightly different o-ring.

I also didn't like the fact there was no o-ring between the bottom edge of the tank and the metal, so I stacked a different o-ring there too. There's enough room.

My Ohmega Alpha One RTA on the iJoy Solo v2 :D

[​IMG]

jimi and LDuBC like this.
  7. LDuBC

LDuBC Well-Known Member

I learned early on to inspect everything every time. Got lazy for a bit but I’ve learned (probably from most on this forum) that as a vaper you are the first line of defense when it comes to safety. Whether you are using a mech, reg mod, rda, rta, tank, etc., know the ins and outs of your equipment. Companies are pushin this shit out as fast as possible and won’t catch all of their mistakes. US made, Chinese cloned, Russian produced, Italian created... these things are made in quantity, some focused more than others on quality. Nobody’s perfect. No company is perfect.
    Thanks for the tip @CaFF. I haven’t built on it yet but damn thing was tight coming apart. Will try replacing orings.
    @ParaTech i was rolling when I read about your little stowaway. Musta been one of those vicious ants:emoji_yum:.
    @Bad Ninja pretty sure I got my inspect everything philosophy from your posts elsewhere.
    @Whiskey hopefully we’ll be able to assist new, and old, vapers with our collective knowledge through experience.
    End of chapter, time far vape!

jimi likes this.