How tight should my wicks be

Discussion in 'Vaping Related with no Category' started by 072aar, Oct 8, 2019.

1. 072aar

072aar New Member

Have tried everything but can’t seem to achieve that “just right” amount of cotton in my 3mm ID coiled rta need some sure fire tricks for us unskilled ppl lol...pls help

2. Timbo

Timbo Well-Known Member

Is it the tightness that you are getting wrong or how your cotton ends are entering the juice channels, is your problem struggling to wick or flooding?

Whiskey likes this.
  3. 072aar

072aar New Member

No flooding;I have heard one method for the ends is to make sure they just enter the channels and another method is to make sure the ends just touch the bottom of the channels and finally another method is to make sure the ends don’t touch bottom but can be partially seen hanging in the well. Also, when combing/thinning your ends do you comb all the way through the wick or just the top layer?

4. Timbo

Timbo Well-Known Member

It depends on the RTA but don't have the ends touching the bottom, just poking through is usually the best method on most RTA's, the main thing is taking into account the swelling of the cotton when it's saturated is not to have the cotton too dense in the wicking channels which can suffocate the flow while obviously having enough that you don't get flooding.

Combing through is just a quick comb all the way through the cotton ends but again how much cotton you take out is taking into account the size of the wicking channels and sometimes more of a fluffing up your ends is a better option than a comb through. Although i do sometimes comb through i don't always it's more of an American way doing it religiously.

The cotton when it goes through your coil needs to bite (feel friction between the coil and cotton) but it needs to freely move when pulling it back and forth. Because it's often said that having your cotton too tight can suffocate the flow and struggle to wick towards the centre of your coil (which is true) it leads many to not have it tight enough, like i said it needs to bite and have a certain amount of resistance.

You may get even more helpful advice as there are a lot of knowledgeable vapers who come on the forum.

Whiskey likes this.
  5. 072aar

072aar New Member

Thanks for reply Timbo will keep all this in mind.

Timbo likes this.