FDA Open Comments. Let Your Voice Be Heard

Discussion in 'Vaping News' started by Deucesjack, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Deucesjack

Deucesjack 3 year member reviewer

2. Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja Well-Known Member

The FDA doesn't want my opinion.
    They have a history of backroom deals and executives that work to enrich their former employers.

When you have a federal agency staffed with former executives who now regulate the very industry they still hold stock and interest in, corruption is guaranteed. The deeming regulations showed us again, as they basically hand the vaping industry to big tobacco, and make it financially difficult for small business to enter the marketplace.

It's a rigged game.

3. Deucesjack

Well here is my comment and I mention the rigged game.

I have been a smoker for almost 30 years. I started vaping almost 4 years ago and I have never looked back. Since I started vaping I am no longer out of breath when climbing a flight of stairs and I have much more energy. I am now able to play basketball with my 9 and 13 year old without coughing or getting out of breath. When I wake up in the morning I no longer cough up all sorts of nasty stuff. I also noticed that I tend to get sick a lot less when compared to when I was smoking. I can honestly say that vaping has saved my life. Not only has it done that, but it is also improved the quality of my everyday life.

As far as this flavor ban goes I understand where this agency is coming from. However, let's be totally honest with each other and admit that it is being pursued on a disingenuous basis at best. The government always likes to put the children in the middle of a fight when they absolutely want to win something. The talking point is always “But it's to protect our kids”.

We all know that every state of the union took a tobacco settlement. We also know that almost every state could not wait for the money to be sent to them on a yearly basis because it was based on the yearly sales of tobacco. So, instead of the states waiting for their money they decided to issue bonds and get their money up front. Now, so many people have quit smoking and moved on to vaping that the states are not able to meet their obligations with those bonds that they issued. This is why they have called for the FDA regulate our industry and they are looking for vapers to make up that tax revenue that is missing. The easiest way for you to get public sentiment on your side is to say that you are protecting the children. As I just pointed out, we know that is not the case. Most vapers know this and we are going to make it as public as possible. This is not about the children, this is about the money.

As little as a month ago I saw kids on Facebook eating Tide Pods. I didn't see the FDA get involved with that. For generations, kids have done stupid things especially when they are together in a group. One of those stupid things when I was growing up was teenage smoking. There was a lot of peer pressure for you to have a cigarette with your group of friends. That has not changed and that dynamic has not changed. Kids are always going to do something stupid in a group and have peer pressure to do those said things. It’s actually part of growing up. Right now, it's the whole Juul craze. Two years from now, it'll be something different. I just don't understand why the FDA wants to get involved with what law abiding adults do while hiding behind the false guise of protecting the children.

What's wrong with flavors? I grew up eating Gummy Bears and Lifesavers. I like vanilla custard and chocolate pudding. I like cookies and milk. I drink pepsi and Cocoa-Cola. Why as an adult should I not have the option to vape it, especially if it keeps me off of cigarettes? I don't understand why those flavors are coming into play. You want us to believe that they are attractive to children and it makes them vape. However, I see candy flavored alcohol all the time and I have yet to see the FDA step in and regulate that. It seems like you guys are just looking for some excuse to step in and regulate us in order to garner our tax dollars. There's an old saying that I think applies to this situation. I can't hear what you're saying because your actions speak louder than your words. That is definitely the case with the FDA and their flavor ban.

I've given two examples where the FDA had a chance to protect children and they have not stepped in and done a thing. Why is vaping any different? Why are we being treated like tobacco when there is no tobacco in any of our products? The other thing I would like to know is why the FDA is ignoring the science that is out there already? There have been numerous studies done around the world that prove that vaping is 95% less harmful than tobacco cigarettes. Why do we constantly see government officials making false claims on the harmful effects of vaping? Unfortunately, the answer is only all too clear, it's all about the money.

4. fuseryder

fuseryder Active Member

Done, whether it has any value is debatable but it takes 3 mins to complete.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. Deucesjack

Exactly right!

6. Nightshard

Nightshard Well-Known Member

I've seen someone empty a suggestion box once, straight into the trash can :D

Bad Ninja and Whitesoxfan2579 like this.
  7. Deucesjack

If you are not a writer. An attorney came up with a template where you can insert your own flavors and numbers. Got this from Tony B's FB page.

ADVOCACY CALL TO ACTION: Tom, who is a great guy and excellent attorney, wrote this today and I felt compelled to share it with you:

Want to leave a comment with the FDA, but feeling overwhelmed or weird about it? Just don’t know what to say? Here is a simple template to make it super-easy.

Sample (Template) Response For FDA Flavor Comments

I was a cigarette smoker for _____ years. I tried several means to quit smoking, including [list what you tried]. These methods failed. Finally, I was introduced to vaping. Vaping worked and I have been a “former smoker” for ______ years (or months). The variety in e-liquid flavors was vital in vaping working for me. In my case I quit smoking using the following types of flavors [list types or categories of flavors, not brand names]. I am certain vaping would not have worked had my choices been tobacco and menthol only. The types of flavors that continue to work for me are [list types or categories of flavors, not brand names]. I respectfully urge the FDA to keep a broad range of flavors available so that I, and millions like me, can continue to successfully use this life-changing, innovative technology.

https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=FDA-2017-N-6565-0001

While I've already submitted once, and my wife submitted this today for me using "submitting for a third party" option. Here is what I said, so you can get an idea of how you might adjust the template to fit you:

My name is Tony, and I was a cigarette smoker since fifth grade. Yea, back then it wasn't a big deal...I'm now 49 years old. My Mom actually signed my smoking pass for high school so I could smoke in the smoking section! Needless to say, it was a long time addiction and by the time I quit in 2013, I was smoking 2 packs a day.

I tried several means to quit smoking, including hypnotism, patches, gum, and even prescription medication. These methods failed horribly. One time I even stopped smoking for 2 years...and one day, I was having a drink and was offered a tobacco cigarette and it was all over. I was back to smoking 2 packs a day. So, I know that if I don't have an alternative to use in place of tobacco, which I know will kill me, I will easily go back to smoking. It's the most addictive thing I've ever seen.

Finally, I was introduced to vaping. Vaping worked and I have been a “former smoker” for 5 years. The variety in e-liquid flavors was vital in vaping working for me. In my case I quit smoking using the following types of flavors: fruits, bakery, donut, cereal, and anything that didn't taste like tobacco really. I am certain vaping would not have worked had my choices been tobacco and menthol only. The types of flavors that continue to work for me are mostly cereal, bakery, donut, and things like blue raspberry. I respectfully urge the FDA to keep a broad range of flavors available so that I, and millions like me, can continue to successfully use this life-changing, innovative technology, and encourage others to do the same. I'm always concerned with helping smokers to transfer to vaping and if the flavors available taste horrible, they won't do so. And I'll feel as though I didn't help save another life. Thank you for your time!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Whiskey likes this.
  8. Deucesjack

Wow! Just wow! I'm sorry, I like to keep things positive but I have to vent a bit. Check out the pic below. This thing has been shared all over FB, social media and YouTube yet as a community we are only able to generate 4546 comments. Are you fucking kidding me? Boy, I bet if we attached a God damn giveaway to it we'd have over 25,000 thousand comments.

I go to all these vape shows and I constantly see peeps lining up for free shit but they can't take 5 minutes out of their day to make a comment? Really disappointed in the whole community. I'm not saying whether or not a comment will make a difference. It may not but you could bet your ass if the elected officials saw a couple of hundred thousand comments they would at least sit up and listen. Rant over, I'm out. [​IMG]

Irked Particle, Vapin4Joy and Whiskey like this.
  9. CaptainRon

CaptainRon Well-Known Member

That is very disappointing. Commented some time ago. Don't know if it's still open, but get on it people!

Vapin4Joy, Whiskey and Deucesjack like this.
  10. Deucesjack

Handcheck of the day. If you have not filled out this form shame on you. Do it! It's important! [​IMG]

Vapin4Joy and Whiskey like this.
  11. Whiskey

Whiskey The TCIC Staff Member Moderator 3 year member

Done:)

Vapin4Joy and Deucesjack like this.
  12. Deucesjack

I'll just leave this here.

13. Irked Particle

Irked Particle one year member

Dang, I feel really bad that I found the forums too late to participate in this. Thanks for your passion, though, Jack. Vaping has already changed my life & lungs for the better in just a few short months. I plan to keep an eye on this stuff moving forward, & I want to do what I can to stand up for our right to vape, & to vape the flavors we should have the right to vape. Thanks Jack, again, for your determination on this. :emoji_clap: