Battery Safety Sticky

Discussion in 'Batteries' started by Anthony_Vapes, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Anthony_Vapes

Anthony_Vapes Moderator Staff Member Moderator 1 year member reviewer Weekly Referral Winner

I made this video to explain to people safe limits of their batteries and how to calculate amp draw on their batteries.

(youtube description below)
    Stay safe out there vapors!
    I wanted to talk about safety and how to understand your device and how to calculate the amp draw on your batteries
    Remember to always pick good batteries based on Moochs Rating not whats on the wrapper!

Moochs Recommend Batteries https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/moochs-recommended-batteries.7593/

Always Use married Batteries! batteries that are the same exact ones that were purchased together, used together, and charged together at all times for devices that take multiple batteries

best options from his list (18650)
    20 amp = Samsung 30Q
    25 amp = Sony VCT5a
    30 amp = Lg HB6
    Buy from legit sites only like illumn.com liionwholesale.com and IMRbatteries.com.
    Don't buy batteries off ebay or amazon!

Regulated Device Formula for Battery amp Draw
    P(watts)/V(nominal voltage)=I(amps)
    typical safety measure is 75 watts per 20 amp battery for regulated devices with

For unregulated/mech mods
    use ohms law calculator
    http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator
    for series use voltage 8.4 and current as your batteries CDR rating
    for single battery use voltage 4.2 and your current as your batteires CDR
    for parallel use voltage 4.2 and one batteries current times 1.5 (example a pair of 30 amp batteries would be good for 45 amps because 30 times 1.5 = 45)
    General rule 30 amp batteries lowest safe resistance
    dual series .28
    dual parallel .09
    single battery .14
    General rule 20 amp batteries lowest safe resistance
    dual series .42
    dual parallel .14
    single battery .21
    General rule 25 amp batteries lowest safe resistance
    dual series .34
    dual parallel .11
    single battery .17

EDIT:
    Mooch started a youtuube channel. really worth checking out. here is a link
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCePHh3NMvu3rW2LFJeOWo-Q

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  2. lestermagneto

lestermagneto Well-Known Member

Just in case people don't follow Mooch's activity, he has an active alert out on fake LG HE2's, recommending essentially not purchasing them, here is his post from ECR:

Mooch:
    "My sincere thanks to Danny Carrillo for sending me these fake HE2's for examination and testing!

Luckily they are terrible fakes and are easily identified, having a three "leg" top contact rather than the correct "four" leg top contact that all LG batteries have.

I want to restate that before all the questions come in...

• This fake HE2 has three "legs" coming down from the top contact.
    • The genuine HE2, and all LG batteries we use, have four "legs" coming down from the top contact.

Photos and discharge graphs: https://imgur.com/a/nhPSC
    The fakes also have a faint laser etched Greek phi symbol on the bottom. There is nothing on the bottom of the genuine HE2.

The genuine HE2 is a 20A 2500mAh battery. This fake is a lousy performing 2100-2200mAh battery with a 10A-15A rating. But, there might be more than one type of battery being rewrapped for these fakes. I can only talk about the ones I have.

I don't know what battery is being used for these fakes.

If you have any of these fakes then contact the vendor you purchased them from to see if you can get a refund. If you insist on using them then carefully treat them as crappy 10A batteries. I recommend just returning or recycling them though.

PLEASE READ:

• The date/batch code on the wrap of the fake might be a genuine code. This alert is NOT saying that all HE2's with that code are fake!

• LET ME REPEAT THAT: THIS POST IS NOT SAYING ALL HE2's WITH THAT CODE ARE FAKES! Only that these fakes are using that code.

• This alert is NOT saying that all HE2's with a four "leg" top contact are genuine! There might be other fakes out there using genuine LG batteries with lower current ratings.

• I am NOT saying anything other what I am saying directly in this post.

• Please do not send me pictures of your HE2's. I am unable to authenticate your batteries via photos. Use the pictures here to determine if yours are fakes or not. If you are still unsure then CAREFULLY compare the performance of the suspect batteries against known genuine HE2's, HE4's, or 25R's (their performances are all about the same). If you are still unsure, return or recycle them.
    Thanks!

Mooch"

Just throwing it out there...

3. SnapDragon NY

SnapDragon NY Well-Known Member 1 year member Weekly Referral Winner

@Anthony_Vapes , you need to put up your "how to put a wrap on your battery" video!
    I took the leap and ordered some wraps from FT- watched your video and thanks to you I now have safe new wraps on my batteries! Easy Peasy! You have the clear, but they had a nice clear blue, marked my batteries with magic marker, got out my trusty blow dryer and Voila, safer batteries!
    Thanks again for showing that video and giving me the confidence- Happy Dance!

4. Anthony_Vapes

Anthony_Vapes Moderator Staff Member Moderator 1 year member reviewer Weekly Referral Winner

Thanks! great idea. I'll add it in :)

5. Whiskey

Whiskey The TCIC Staff Member Moderator 1 year member Head of Giveaways

Here is the new Mooch vid

6. Alaskavaper

Alaskavaper Well-Known Member

I highly recommend Mooch's new video series that are easily found on Utube. He starts out explaining Omhs Law that every vaper should become familiar with. As the series evolves I am sure there will be much great information on powering vape devices safely. You don't want to take stupid risks that will end up hurting yourself as well as hurting vaping by giving it a bad reputation.

SnapDragon NY likes this.
  7. Alaskavaper

Alaskavaper Well-Known Member

Well done, Anthony.

SnapDragon NY and Anthony_Vapes like this.
  8. Anthony_Vapes

thanks!

SnapDragon NY likes this.
  9. Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja Well-Known Member

Mooch actually knows how to type as well.
    You can use google to find his written test data on every cell Mooch has tested.
    ;)
    I despise watching videos.

Alaskavaper likes this.
  10. The Cromwell

The Cromwell Well-Known Member

Mooch now has 3 videos on his youtube channel.
    I highly recommend that all vapers watch those vids.
    Even we that are technical oriented and study his test results it kind of puts it all together with a good overall perspective on battery selection and battery safety as well as how mods work.

Anthony_Vapes and Whiskey like this.
  11. Anthony_Vapes

Just added a link to his channel in the OP

Whiskey likes this.